Re: applet template confusion

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 11:27:49AM +0000 or thereabouts, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> I'm not quite sure about the template stuff myself. Dan, help!
> I have other questions, but they can go in a separate post :)

...So here they are. When did this "right-click menu" thing get
added?

I've been thinking about this over the weekend and asking around
friends about their mouse use. Yes, most people use a three-button
mouse with the buttons mapped normally.

But:

	o my husband has a portable with a stylus (you tap it on the
    screen in different patterns for different buttons).
	o a friend has a mouse with five buttons. For him, "middle-click"
    would be buttons 4 and 5 (it's a really strange mouse but not uncommon,
    I gather).
	o same friend was recently installing Linux onto an Apple with a
    one-button mouse.
	o I have a portable which has mouse "buttons" which are buttons:
    they're arranged in such a way that left, right and middle are pretty
    meaningless concepts.
	o Looking at trackballs in shops, buttons appear to be on top,
    down the side, practically underneath, round the corner. All over.
	o And yes, lots of people remap buttons on standard mice.

Given all that, I really really think that left-click and right-click
are the wrong things to write. And in particular, I think a chapter
heading of "Right Click Menu Options" is wrong. "Standard menu options"
and an explanation that it's button 3, which for most people is the
right mouse button would be better.

Am I alone here? I know I bring this up a lot, but I get very little
response beyond "most people use left and right-click so we should".
Lots people remove their ~/.gnome directory if there's a problem too,
and if that doesn't work, they reinstall. But I rarely see that being
encouraged just because "it's what most people are used to". Or is
everyone being quiet because they think I'm making a fuss about
something that doesn't  matter?

One suggestion was that we could use entities for this. It would work
for the new help-browser, because that will be generating things on the
fly. But I don't think it will work at the moment.

Telsa