Re: A few responses

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Chris Lyttle wrote:

> Its also a pain to use and less than helpful to navigate. I personally
> think that the windows help interface sucks and should not be the
> basis we should use to design ours. I do like the suggestions already
> made and the way that nautilus has it setup with their sliding tabs.
> As to html based interfaces, I feel its all in how well its put
> together (ie designed, not just slapped in as an afterthought.)

Could you be more specific about why the Windows help system is a pain to
use and why it is not good for navigation?  In my very limited use of it,
I was rather impressed by how quickly and efficiently one can search for
things in their alphabetical browse Index.  I think this is partly due to
their task-oriented style of documentation and indexing. Of course I
haven't really used it, just played with it.  So I am probably missing out
on many details. Could you explain in more detail what they are doing
wrong, and what we might do differently?

Dan