template revs, ? re: indexing markup

Hi.
I have made some of the changes suggested, and will continue to make
others.  sgml is on my web page (primates.helixcode.com/~aaron) and I
have gone ahead and commited to CVS.
Reinstated the menubar section, moved to variablelists, will be adding
faq and indexing stuff in the next couple days.

Question: does a variablelist's <term> constitute an indexable item?
Indexterms are probably better, but how much better? Can one rely on
<term> or should you use <indexterm> as well in a variablelist?