Re: Return of the Template Revisions, part MDMXCII

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 12:41:30PM +0200 or thereabouts, Alexander Kirillov wrote:
> >Why on earth are we still using <itemisedlist>s with..
>
> I use <variablelist> for a.; thus, i do not want to change the
> stylesheets to make the title of <variablelist> run-in. But then,
> DocBook has no tags to satisfy b. - so I make it by hand. Yes, I do
> want both. I'd be happy if DocBook had 2 versions of <variablelist>,
> but AFAIK, it doesn't.

I'm still not convinced, but I'm actually replying to this bit:

> BTW, Telsa: what is the undocumented feature of gnome-terminal? I did
> some work on gnome-terminal manual, and I can tell you that i
> wrote there everything I knew (which is not much). I'll include this
> new feature there too.

I was going to put it in, but I have simply had neither time nor bandwidth
(other half needs the modem) to update my copy of gnome-core to get the
file and check it wasn't in already. It may be there. I am utterly
and hopelessly out of date :(

gnome-core/gnome-terminal/C/gnome-terminal.sgml:

	<listitem>
	  <para><option>--geometry <replaceable>GEOMETRY</replaceable>
           </option></para>
	  <para>
	    Specifies the startup geometry for this terminal.  The
	    geometry specifies the desired width and height in
	    terminal characters.  For example:
	    <option>--geometry=80x40</option> will create an
	    eighty-column by forty-line terminal.</para>
            <!--
	      <para>FIXME: LInk to gnome-libs document on GEOMETRY
	      specifications when it is written
	    </para> -->
	</listitem>

The example made it look like you could specify height and width but
not position. I remembered that you could specify position with
something similar in xterm and friends and discovered that there's
more than one number: as well as the example about to set the size, you
can also do:
   gnome-terminal --geometry="80x40+100+100" to start one 100 (whatevers:
pixels?) units in from the top left corner and 100 whatevers down.
And you can miss out the size of the terminal and do
   gnome-terminal --geometry=+400+400 to start one 400 wotsits in.
And you can do it relative to the bottom right-hand corner with
   gnome-terminal --geometry=+100-100

And you can probably do other stuff, too. I haven't had time to
play around with it. Only thing that bothers me is a comment in the
source about this: after the stuff that I think does geometry, there's
		/* Only the first window gets --geometry treatment for now */
		geometry = NULL;

..and I'm not quite sure what this means.

No, I have not yet come up with useful wording for this. Since someone
asked specifically how he started a gnome-terminal in a particular spot
on the screen on gnome-list, I do think it should go in somehow/where.

Assuming that comment doesn't refer to something which will mess it all
up :)

Telsa