Re: Error in a GNOME doc

"Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero" <famrom@idecnet.com> wrote:

I did receive the email you sent to me. I'm sorry I didn't reply,
but I needed to check my facts first and I'm rather busy away from
the computer at the moment. (Away, then guests, then away, then...)

So:

> ghelp:/usr/share/gnome/help/cpuload_applet/C/index.html
>
> The docs says that "nice" are those apps that are not really nice and eat
> CPU like mad. The correct is the inverse situation: "nice"d apps are those
> that eat the part of CPU that nobody wants.

I wrote a long screed to justify why I'd described it this way,
all about the horrors of how the (Linux, at least) kernel counts
it positive to negative but when using 'nice' at the command line
the numbers are negative to positive, and the trivia I had learned
about the minus sign on the command line being to indicate that it
was an argument to the command rather than the PID to affect, but
then I deleted it. Along with the rant about the completely misleading
titles for every single thing in cpuload applet except for "idle".

I think I'll just settle for saying that I'm sure there was a reason
I described it the way I did at the time, but looking at it now, I am
wondering what that reason was. It certainly didn't come out saying
remotely what I wanted it to say.

On the queue for rewording. Not a nice job, but high-priority. (Sorry,
couldn't resist.)

Thanks, and sorry for the delay.

Telsa