(Was The GNOME Handbook of Writing Software Documentation)

Now something else
From: "David C. Mason" <dcm@redhat.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2000 10:44:31 -0500

lacage@email.enst.fr (Mathieu Lacage) writes:

> BTW: i remember the subject was brought someday but it is VERY
> important
> that the SGML minimization should be STRONGLY FORBIDDEN for any doc.
>
> I think that switching to XML is a not-so-far reachable goal (thanks
> conglomerate.org) and minimization is exactly the kind of thing we
> want
> to avoid to make the switch not too painful.

<rant>

But that has been my whole point to anyone who will listen -
<important part>Graphical SGML Editors of this Nature(Conglomerate)
make it too easy to minimize your markup!!!!!</important part>. It
happen with every app that has taken this approach - it is way to easy
to miss something like <guilabel> when all you have to do is write -
not tag and write!

I know people keep saying Conglomerate is the end all to our
documentation woes - but it is not! From my tests of it - it does
things a bit oddly (a stylesheet for a DTD to use *in* the editor
only???) and it can make for badly marked up docs - have you seen the
raw output?

Thats why I was so disappointed to hear that the only thing even
remotely related to docs at GUADEC was going to come from the GUADEC
people - we aren't trying to build doc apps - we are trying to get
people off their rear ends and write the docs that are so desperately
needed if GNOME is ever going to be taken seriously!

</end rant>