Re: GDP Screenshot Standards

On 27 Feb 2000, Owen Taylor wrote:

> > > 2. We might take a one of wm or gtk themes suggested and use with
> > >    custom font - for ease of reading/printing (e.g., i use lucida bold
> > >    with my gtk theme - it is much easier to read than default one on
> > >    my 1024x1280 display)
> >
> > I also discovered lucida a while ago and use that. I think it's
> > extremely clear, yes. I would add a vote for that :)
>
> I would strongly encourage you to use the standard GTK+ theme with the
> standard GTK+ font (12 pt Helvetica). Or else people will think you
> are taking screenshots of Tk...
>
> Well, more seriously, while there is no standard for window managers,
> there is a standard GTK+ theme; and the closer the screenshots match
> what people see on their screen, the less confused they are going to
> be.

I agree with Owen here.  We should follow the standards when they exist
unless we have a strong reason not too.  For window managers, there was
no standard, but for fonts and GTK themes, there is a standard.  If the
existing standard is inadaquate, it would be better to change the standard
than to have the GDP just ignore it and do its own thing.

However, I'd be happy to add this as another section on the voting ballot
if enough people want it.  If 3 people send me or the list an
email saying they want to use something other than the default GTK
theme(gtk)  with default font(Helvetica 12pt), I'll add sections for the
GTK theme and for fonts to the voting ballot.

Dan