Re: Random updates.

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> Okay. For reasons beyond my ken, Netscape is refusing to allow me
> to login to the doctable to add things. It occurred to me to try

Has anybody else had this problem?  It is important that everybody can
access the Doctable.

> into the table. (I think gtop should be in 'core apps', btw, not
> 'additional', but I couldn't see how to change that.)

Right - I moved it to 'core apps'.

> I sent similarly almost-done-minus-three-FIXMEs stuff to Tom Gilbert
> for screenshooter, an applet that I added to the doctable. I have
> put the version number as the version number for the screenshooter
> program: should it have been for the gnome-applets package? Feel free
> to correct.

I would use the package version number, since I expect it will only be
available in the gnome-core package in the future.

This version number will essentially tell us what version the document
status is rated for.  Ideally right before version 1.2 comes out, all of
the docs are "Done" for 1.2.  As we update the docs to reflect 2.0
packages, we increment 1.2 to 2.0 and give the status a new value
representing how well the docs reflect the 2.0 package. So before 2.0
comes out, we hope to have all 2.0's and "Done"'s again.

> There isn't actually a 'documentation done and sent to app author
> but not yet packaged into app' icon that I could see. Or is there?
> I just, ahem, 'used my initiative'. I think I picked 'done' or
> 'incomplete'.

The way I designed the status set was from the end-user point of view.
Even if complete documentation exists, if it isn't packaged with the
application, it is "missing", not "done".  We could consider changing this
system to better reflect the author point of view.  However I somewhat
enjoy this system since it emphasizes that you have to wait until the
documentation is packaged with the application before you get to claim you
are "done".

Dan