Re: Updated Package Descriptions Translations - Volunteers?

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Stanislav Brabec wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 03:42:24PM +0000, simos pc96 ma rhbnc ac uk wrote:
>
> > For example, the could be a file MASTER.txt:
> > ==== MASTER.txt ====
> > gnome-core "Gnome-core is core to GNOME"
> > gnome-libs "Basic gnome libraries"
> > gnome-games "Gnome GaMes"
> > ==== END ====
> >
> > This can be converted (using a Perl script) to MASTER.pot:
>
> Do you like sed? You only need to do anything with POT-Creation-Date...

Personally I prefer Perl :)
The conversions between the MASTER files and the .po files should be
done by some admin or the package generator. The translators should get
.pot files and return their language .po file.

> I think, package name as comment is better...

Check out first if those .po editing applications strip or rearrange
comments. Additionally, if a comment is fuzzy, where is the fuzzy line
put (above or below or something else happens).

Moreover, you may stumble on a translator that has strong views
on "semantics". That is, comments serve as comments and nothing
else. Comments can be edited or discarded.

>From what I see from the .po format, .po comments are like HTML
comments. They can be real comments or Javascript code.
The difference is the character after the "#". In your example
below, you wisely put the "." to denote something else.
Thus, these comments are different and everybody should be happy.

Finally, in the case the #. directives are lost, an additional script
can add them by using the MASTER file and the msgid string of the
translation file.

simos