Good News

I have excellent news :) I finally understood exactly what DV was talking
about in the mails he sent me.

So I started playing around with my own 'local branch' of gnome-db2html2. I
spent all of today hacking and now I have 'entity support' working in
gnome-db2html2 :)

It works with all the entities declared in the document - including the
#include like entities (<!ENTITY tasklist.sgml SYSTEM "tasklist.sgml"> for
example).

This is not ready to go into CVS yet as it needs more cleaning up and I need
to manually merge it.

Some things to note:
1) The libxml parser is VERY picky (to comply with the XML spec) - you must
change all '!entity' to '!ENTITY' or will not work!

2) Entities declared in the External Subset (i.e. not in the document) will
not work (i.e. &mdash; and &hellip; will not work). This might be a problem
with my setup (or maybe with how docs are declared). I am not sure about this

3) libxml spews out a lot of 'warning' messages I have to try to figure out
a way to disable that :)

4) Right now - most docs do not declare the document correctly:
You must either use SYSTEM so your document declaration will look something
like:
<!DOCTYPE Article SYSTEM "-//GNOME//DTD DocBook PNG Variant V1.0//EN" [
  <!ENTITY tasklist.sgml SYSTEM "tasklist.sgml">
]>

or you must provide a URI with the PUBLIC so your document declaration will
look something like:
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1//EN"
    "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.0/docbookx.dtd" [
  <!ENTITY tasklist.xml SYSTEM "tasklist.xml">
]>

So now we will probably get entity support in gnome-db2html2.