comprehensiveness and completeness of large docs

So, in working on docs for large apps, one tends to run into the problem
of being comprehensive.  It's easy enough to describe every feature of a
smaller app-- you can just run through the menu bars and toolbars and
you're done.  The menu bar section goes at the end of the manual, after
the window sections, like in the template.

But for Evolution, I'm having a little conceptual trouble.

Do I put all the menu-bars in big appendix as a reference of all
functionality, sorted by component and indexed by task?  Or should I put
a menu-bar section at the end of each window description?  How about
just making sure that everything is covered somewhere and having a
really good index?

I'm leaning towards the second most of the time, and towards the first
one some of the time.  The third just seems too hard to keep track of.
What say ye?

a.