Re: gnome-db2html2 problems

* John Fleck (jfleck@inkstain.net) wrote at 20:04 on 06/08/00:
> Ali -
>
> OK, I took your advice about compiling gnome-db2html2 directly so I
> could test stuff. You probably already know about these, but here are
> some problems I found.
>
> ENTITIES:
>
> In both the gdiskfree.xml and gdiskfree.sgml test cases, it fails to
> include the version number, which is included in the file as an
> entity.
>
> In the tasklist-applet.sgml and tasklist-applet.xml, it fails to
> include the tasklist.* files, which are included as entities.
>
> So I guess entities just don't work at this point?

I am not sure if this is a gnome-db2html2 problem, or if it is a libxml
problem. DV told me that there are known issues with libxml and entities. He
told me to upgrade to libxml2 (which I can not do because GNOME will not use
libxml2 until we go for the GNOME-2.0 platform).

> LINKS:
>
> The <link> tag doesn't render.
>
> >From gdiskfree.sgml:

> 	<guimenuitem>Properties</guimenuitem>
> 	      </menuchoice>
> 	     which launches the  <link
> 		  linkend="prefs"><interface>General Settings
> 		  </interface>dialog</link>
>
> renders as:
>
> Settings
>    2.This menu contains command Properties which launches the .
>
> It looks as though the <link> tag isn't included in sect-elements.c.

Good catch :) The link tag should now work. Please note that its not just a
matter of adding it to sect-elements.c :) Basically, (for the libXML SAX
parser) you need to specify what happens when you 'enter' a tag (i.e. set up
the '<A>' link) then you have to specify what to do with the 'contents'
in-between the tags (print them), and then you have to specify what do when
closing the tag (i.e. print '</A>').

> INTERFACE:
>
> Stuff inside the <interface></interface> tags isn't rendering. (see
> panel.sgml for an example, the introduction section)
>
> Again, <interface> isn't in sect-elements.c

I think I mentioned in a previous mail that this is now fixed :)

> Hope this is helpful. I'll keep hunting for stuff.

Well - keep those SPECIFIC bug reports coming in :) Thanks to John Fleck, I
have now nailed down two bugs in gnome-db2html2 (actually just two missing tags)

Also thanks to him, I got Docbook XML working :)

If you can compile/install Nautilus - then you should already have
gnome-db2html2 in your path. If you can not compile all of Nautilus then you
can do the following:

cvs -z3 co nautilus/components/help/converters/gnome-db2html2

After you check it out, go to th directory and either 'copy Makefile.doc
Makefile' and then compile - or directly do a 'make -f Makefile.doc' (somebody
told me about this on IRC).

Or if you want read the README (it has compilation/usage instructions).

Current 'known' issues are:
1) Tables do not work (and probably won't anytime soon)
2) Multiple <chapter> tag's screw it up apparently - Either just have one big
chapter - or avoid it entirely
3) Entities do not work
4) According to the TODO - variablelist's do not work.

Anything else - please report :) I really do need your help because I know
jackshit about Docbook :) Telsa wrote my glife.sgml docs ;)

If you find that gnome-db2html2 is 'skipping over' a tag and you think it is
needed, of course you should report. But also please tell me a bit about the
tag and how you think it should be rendered in HTML (i.e. should it be
bold/italic/underlined/etc.). If you have no clue about the HTML though its
okay - Just provide me with the doc and I can figure it out from the usage
and the jade output (preferably give me a URL link to the doc).

Also dudes - start switching to Docbook XML.

Regards,
Ali