Re: CVS, templates, and changes to docs

Gregory Leblanc <GLeblanc@cu-portland.edu> writes:

> > We can not force anyone to use a license - at all. But we, as
> > maintainers, can say that your documentation under another license
> > will not be shipped with the docs - or the app.
>
> Which is basically "forcing" people to use a given license, or not
> write at all.  Don't hide it behind another name, please.

You are right to some extent... use this license or don't write for
the GDP. The problem is we can't make one big document out of lots of
little documents if everyone uses different licenses. The developers
don't see this problem too much, although they have. Imagine how a
front page to a future Users Guide (autogenerated as it is planned)
would look if it had to include information on what license refers to
what text... or halfway through reading the thing you have to stop and
read that "this portion of the documentation is brought to you by the X
license, X a windowing system for *nix"

Still, I mean it when I say we can not force people to use it. They
can write all they want to... they can write a whole freakin' book and
put it on their website - I'd like to see it actually :) - But we are
'forcing' people to use the license if they want their docs to be part
of the overall group of GNOME documentation.

I wish it were easier but I think more than keeping RMS happy - which
is not my intention, I want to keep GNOME as much a part of GNU as we
can possibly make it... they've given us much and we are given them
back plenty as well - its a good relationship.

Cheers,

Dave