Re: CVS, templates, and changes to docs

"David C. Mason" <dcm@redhat.com> writes:

> So far we have done a pretty good job at it. We already make RMS mad
> by not using info to do all our docs - we should at least use the GNU
> project's licenses.

I've no problems with GNU licenses, not at all!  But believe me
Texinfo/Info isn't ready for such a project like GNOME:

    HTML output is hacky: texi2html is good, but the new `makeinfo
    --html' is still limited.

    No "attributes" and "IDs" or something like that to store meta
    information cleanly.  In the long run this will be essential all
    kinds of infrastructure (e.g., the help browser, translations,
    updates in general).

    Texinfo2DocBook converters are very young.

    It's not an international standard ;-)

As you might know I'm a big fan of Texinfo/Info (I did the german
translation, contributed quite some ideas, did testing, etc.).  Once
familiar with the Texinfo philosophy you're able to produce high quality
documents very fast!

--
work : ke@suse.de                          |
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |          ------    ,__o