Re: volunteer: Welcome!

Hey bill!
Welcome aboard!

Right now, we're preparing for the imminent release of GNOME 1.2.  We're
focusing on finishing the documentation for gnome-utils and
gnome-applets.  Have a look at the doctable, download the templates to
have a look at what they look like, and get yourself the doc-tools rpm
at:
http://people.redhat.com/dcm/software.html

That works nicely with emacs, I think-- you'll want to save your files
as .sgml files and use the SGML or PSGML mode.  An excellent resource is
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/html/docbook.html
which is a guide to the docbook SGML specification.  It's complicated,
but really quite easy-- everything is nested one inside another, and
almost every noun has a tag to go with it.

Write up what you can, ask us questions here and on irc.gnome.org #docs,
and post it somewhere when you want feedback.
If you prefer, you can write the documents in plain english and send
them to... well, me, I guess, and I'll doc-book-ize them and arrange to
have them put into CVS.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, and once again,
welcome aboard!

aaron.

Bill wrote:
<snip>
> converting that into plain english come easy for me therefore it would
> be best to put me into assisting with the preparation of a doc or in
> copyediting. I do have some understanding of HTML so maybe a little bit
> of formatting would not scare me away.
<snip>