Re: Application Documentation Guidelines/Web Page

> My opinion was that if a user is running application "foo" and has a
> question, he/she should be able to go to the "Help" menubar and get an
> application-specific Manual.  All "foo"-specific documentation should be
> in this Manual.

Of course, every application must have a "Help" button which brings
the manual on screen. However, I'd think it is OK if in fact this
"manual" is just a part of users guide and not a separate document -
for example, this is what is done with control-center. The only
difference is that it is distributed in the package "users-guide-*"
rather than "gnome-foo-*"

>Really, the User Guide would just pull the Manuals
>together, creating a single larger doc.

Do you mean  that the users-guide should  just contain links to the
html files distributed with other applications? Then there are
problems with things like table of contents: either we include all
links, and then for some users some of the links do not work, or we
have to "build" the users guide for each user separately, which makes
life somewhat more complicated. Or, of course, we could just copy the
html files from each application - but this menas really wasting
hard disk space and bandwidth.

As for status of gmc, menu editor and others: they do have manual
(this manual is a part of users-guide, same as for control-center)
they just do not have "Help" button linked to it. I thought, this is
exactly why you have 2 columns in your status: one for existence of
manual, the other for existence of the help button.

	Best,
		Sasha