Re: Application Documentation Guidelines/Web Page

> I think it looks pretty good. Some of us were discussing this the
> other day and wanted to know if you were generating this by hand or
> dynamically. I think it would be greatly enhanced if it were created
> dynamically and allowed writers (with a simple username and password)
> to update the status of the docs through a web form.
>
> It would also allow developers to submit new apps they wish to include
> on the list - keeping up with the apps will be almost as difficult as
> keeping up with the status of the docs.

I agree.  Having this page created dynamically and allowing writers to
modify it directly using forms would be much better than having a static
page which a single person must maintain.

My initial goal was to get this table on the web quickly to make it easier
for new writers to get started. I thought we could start with a static
page (since this is what I know how to do and can produce rather quickly),
and then upgrade the page to interface a database when I learn how to do
this or somebody who has experience volunteers to do it.

> Also, the email address you have on there gdpapptable@gnome.org - we
> should discuss this as well - we will need to get something set up for
> this - does it go to the gnome-doc list - does it go to one
> maintainer?

This would be forwarded to a maintainer who gets to edit the static web
page. (me?) It would be obsoleted when the database is implemented.

> And obviously we don't want to put it up and announce it until
> everything is ready - maybe we should wait till we are further along
> on the handbook so that it will be even easier to get people involved
> when they have something of that nature to read.

Very good point.  Recruiting new writers without a Handbook could be a
mistake.  At the same time, I think new writers who volunteer should not
be turned away, and may benefit from the App Doc Status Table.  Pointing
developers to it may serve as a gentle reminder that many of them are
leaving out "Help" buttons and "About" pages, and that they should not be
using Netscape to serve their docs.

Dan