Re: Standardizing help paths

Mark Galassi <rosalia@lanl.gov> writes:

>     Elliot> since there is no way to find the HTML file that
>     Elliot> corresponds to a specific piece of the SGML source.
>
> When I write docs, I always use an "id" attribute in my
> chapter/section tags, and that makes for predictable filenames.  My
> attributes are usually canonicalized from the title of that section,
> but that is not necessary.
>
> David, I would propose that you enforce this in your guideline for
> GNOME docs, and make sure that the auto-generator does this.

You are absolutely right and we do that now (although we need to
emphasize it in the new docs handbook).

Yeah Elliot this isn't a problem Finding the id in an sgml file even if
we have already generated html from it is just a matter of looking for
the id of the section, chapter, figure, etc. Plus - once you know the
way the stylesheets reconstruct the ids in the html you can look in
the html as well.

I guess more of a problem is just determining the most organized way
of storing docs for all apps. Especially if you build indexing or
searching from the sgml because the docs directory of any app will
need /html /src or whatever.

Dave

--

          David Mason