Re: Documentation

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@helixcode.com> writes:

|   Although an updated, shinny new "man" command would be nicer.  We
|   could just extend man to understand Docbook SGML.

What do you have in mind how the implementation should look?  To achieve
acceptable performance "man" should continue to work on nroff files;
maybe, it will be fast enough to process mormalized SGML files
on-the-fly.

I don't think man should contain an SGML parser; linking against expat
might be possible; but then, a formatter is still missing.

Once in a while people talking about a nroff backend for jade; normally
the result is, such a backend isn't needed because you can use the
transformation engine to write high level markup -- HTML is one example
(done by Norman Walsh), LaTeX or nroff should be relatively easy to
implement -- if someone is patient enough.

--
work: ke@suse.de                          |
        : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |       ------    ,__o