Re: Gnome and C++

Frederik Bilhaut <bilhaut_f@mail.cpod.fr> writes:

| Hello,
|
|   I am looking at gnome for a while, and would like to develop some things for
| it. But I don't think C is the right way to go with GUIs and distributed
| objects.

Others have other opinions, so let us not have another flamewar over
which language is the best etc. etc.

|   Of course I know there are several C++ bindings for Gtk+. But is there one
| witch support all Gnome features? Is this binding provided by default with
| Gnome? And is there a usable C++ binding for ORBit?

Gtk-- supports 18 classes of Gnome Widget. I don't know if there are
more. Look for more info at:

http://lazy.ton.tut.fi/terop/iki/gtk/features.html

You will find Orbit-C++ here: http://www.orbitcpp.freeserve.co.uk/

|   If there is a real way to develop complex Gnome programs enteirely with C++,
| I would be very interested by a tutorial wich could be named ("Gnome/C++
| developer's guide"). I think many many people would be pleased to have such a
| doc.

Yes. Gtk, gnome, orbit are all developed in C so the wrappers is
lagging a bit behind, but it's getting there. Just need to be a bit
patient.

--
Preben Randhol             oO     "Don't think about domination,  think
[randhol@pvv.org]        .`  ;     about freedom, it doesn't dominate."