Re: gnome-doc-utils: incorrect location for gnome-doc-utils.pc

On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 22:16 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> [ I'm not subscribed to gnome-doc-devel-list, so please Cc: me on
>   replies, thanks ]
>
> gnome-doc-utils 0.17.3 installs gnome-doc-utils.pc
> in /usr/share/pkgconfig/, which is not the default and traditional
> location for pkgconfig files, which are traditionally installed
> in /usr/lib/pkgconfig.
>
> This is due to the fact that tools/Makefile.am contains:
>
> pkgconfigdir = $(datadir)/pkgconfig
>
> instead of
>
> pkgconfigdir = $(libdir)/pkgconfig
>
> Interestingly, this change has been introduced by commit
> d0e0103028d9d3d32b44e7f0f2b2997da828496a, which according to its commit
> message, has no relationship which the pkgconfig location change.

This change was intentional.  I should have made the change
in its own commit, but hey, I'm not perfect.

>From the pkg-config man page:

  The default directory will always be searched after searching
  the path; the default is libdir/pkgconfig:datadir/pkgconfig

Putting pkg-config files in datadir is perfectly valid.  Most
pkg-config files are in libdir because they reference stuff
that's installed in libdir.  (This is important on systems
that have parallel-installable 32-bit and 64-bit versions of
libraries in /usr/lib and /usr/lib64.)

Since everything gnome-doc-utils.pc references is in datadir,
it makes sense for the pkg-config file to be in datadir as
well.  By the way, before I made this change, both Fedora and
Ubuntu were patching gnome-doc-utils to put the pkg-config
file in datadir.

Is this change causing any real problems?

--
Shaun