Status of the yelp man-page parser

I'm doing some work on the groff manual pages, trying to make sure
they render correctly through various programs such as man2html,
the KDE help broweser, manServer, and yelp.

Towards that end, I recently had a look at the yelp source code at
<http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/yelp/src/yelp-man-parser.c?view=markup>.
My goal was to enumerate the sets of troff requests and escapes that
it interprets.

I left that page more puzzled than I arrived.  It doesn't look to me
like that code is functional -- in particular, it looks like .if
conditionals and escapes in macro arguments aren't handled.  And yet,
yelp seems to be doing a pretty good job of displaying man pages that
I know require these features.

Have I missed something here, or is yelp actually doing something
like calling groff behind the scenes?