Re: Rarian and Yelp

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 16:06 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 16:45 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >
> > If there's a better list for Rarian, please let me know.  I just
> > finished porting rarian-0.5.6 to FreeBSD (lot of Linuxisms), and I'm
> > trying to confirm that it's working with Yelp 2.19.1.  However, I can no
> > longer see any of my help documents in Yelp.  When I trace yelp, it
> > seems to be looking for directories that do not exist (e.g.
> > /usr/local/share/help/LOCALE/C).  I don't even see those directories on
> > Linux.  Yelp does find all of the OMF files, but it doesn't want to load
> > the related help .xml files.
> >
> > To be clear, OMF files can be found under /usr/local/share/omf and GNOME
> > help files under /usr/local/share/gnome/help/<app>/<locale>.  This
> > appears to be the same as Linux.
> >
> > My question is, is rarian supposed to be working now?  Should Yelp be
> > finding the help documents?  Right now, Yelp can only successfully find
> > GNU info and man pages.  Thanks.
>
> This should all be working, but Don Scorgie is the man
> with all the answers.  gnome-doc-devel-list is a better
> place for this.  CCing.

Thanks, removing d-d-l.

Okay, I've done some more testing, and this is what I've found.  The
LOCALE thing is a red herring.  This is the fd.o standard, but rarian
will properly find all the OMF files, so that's not a big deal.
However, yelp can no longer get a list of help documents that are
installed.  Launching yelp on its own, then going to each section yields
a message that there are no documents in any section.  Only man and info
works.

Next, if I try and launch yelp from within an app (say eog), I get an
error saying that the URI is invalid.  The reason for this is that
libgnome is creating the URI
ghelp:///usr/local/share/gnome/help/eog/C/eog.xml, then passing
"///usr/local/share/gnome/help/eog/C/eog.xml" to rarian via yelp.  But
rarian is expecting something like "eog".  I'm not sure how this work on
Linux as our libgnome is pretty stock.

Finally, if I do call help with "yelp ghelp:eog" I get the document to
come up, sort of.  I cannot see any content except the section headers,
and I get this error on the console:

xmlXPathCompOpEval: function has-same-node not found
XPath error : Unregistered function
xmlXPathCompiledEval: 3 objects left on the stack.
runtime error:
file /usr/local/share/xml/gnome/xslt/docbook/html/db2html-division.xsl
line 317 element apply-templates
Failed to evaluate the 'select' expression.

The new gnome-doc-utils references the set EXSLT extensions, but I'm not
sure where it's supposed to find them.  I checked the GARNOME
distribution, and it doesn't install the exslt stylesheets, so I'm
really baffled as to how this is working on Linux.

Any clues would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome FreeBSD org