Re: The great "kill-scrollkeeper-with-a-blunt-spoon" Proposal

Hi :o)

Yes, I'm squatting on this list too now ;)

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 10:21 +0100, Don Scorgie wrote:
> Okay, so onward.  Currently, when registering, scrollkeeper copies the
> omf into <prefix>/share/omf/<package-name> and adds it to its index.
>
> Basically, what your suggesting is that instead, when the library is
> started, it scans all the directories and sees if any have mod-time and
> adds any new / changed omfs to its index.
>
> The first thing that sprang to my mind is the speed element: If we have
> to scan ~ 150 directories on startup (which is a typical install),
> adding any new files on the way, this is going to munch some amount of
> time.

How about having gamin watch the directory and add omfs as they come ?

You could have a utility to scan the whole tree, say on system startup,
to catch anything added while gamin was out on a date with a hairy
grapefruit.

Another solution could be rather than having install/uninstall
functions, to just have a "scan" function - this may at least be more
fooproof.

I have an inkling that this problem exists elsewhere, and that a
plethora of solutions already exist - perhaps some unification could be
done (I'm off to think of examples and generally mull this over).

Love, Karderio.