Re: New Yelp TOC (resend)

Don Scorgie wrote:
(Resend.  Hopefully it'll go through this time)

Hi,

As hopefully some people know, there has been some work in getting a new
TOC together for Yelp (until Mallard starts quacking).

Hi, picking this thread as it already has a reply (as opposed to the
other 3 threads of resent message which have none)

[snip]

A couple of points from me:
1. In previous iterations of this idea, the right pane (with all the
docs) was split into 2: "Subsections" and "Documents" (see [3]).  I
still can't decide if I like it without the subsections (although it now
only affects a very few sections - Main level, Man / Info pages).  The
number of subsections on the left of the main level probably make this
infeasible.

Doesn't make sense anymore since all categories are displayed on the left. The only time we display categories on the right is when there are no documents in a particular category, which you pointed out in [5].

2. My beloved grey background is gone *sniff*.  My own fault, been
caught up with other things.  It was unthemed.  I'll at some point look
at this again.  I thought the grey helped distinguish different areas.

I tried to use $yelp.color.gray.bg in the stylesheets to match the color
of the theme, but this simply looks bad with Clearlooks.  It turns out
to be the same color used for most common widgets which is too dark and
non-grey for me.  I think we need to look at the yelp-settings code and
figure out if there are any other widgets where we can get a light gray
color that would work well with $yelp.color.fg  (the color used for the
text)

3. "Other Applications" and "Other Documentation".  'nuff said.

Removed Other applications and threw KDE|Other into the KDE category, and the Applications|Security categories into the ApplicationsSystem category.

4. The Man / info pages are back on the front page.  Last time this
happened, there was a flame fest (well, at least as close as the doc
team gets to a flame fest ;) ).

Haven't heard any complaints so far.   This is easy enough to change if
people flame us again, so I'm just going to apply the patch as is.  I
still think putting them another level deep makes the Man page sections
too deep.

5. Clicking "GNU Info Pages" lists the categories (since there are no
docs in the top-level of info files).  Same with Man pages.  This is
related to 1 above.  The categories look like docs.  Just seems a little
peculiar.

Yes, only a problem for categories which only have sub-categories and no documents (which is just man and info stuff). The alternative is to show subcategories on the right and not expand on the left, or leave the right side blank in this case. I don't like either option.

6. No blurb for Man / Info page sections.  Not a big deal.

Fixed for man pages.  blurb now says what section of the manual the
category is.  Info pages don't seem to have any information in the "dir"
file so there is really no blurb to include for info sections.  The top
level section I did add a blurb for.

Anyway, despite all these, I'm still in favour of committing.  The
various points can all be addressed after committing.

Committing tomorrow evening before the 23:59UTC deadline and rolling a
release if there are no public complaints.  I'll also blog about it,
maybe that will yield some feedback.

Oh yeah, I posted the latest patch in bugzilla (#337584).

Thanks,

--
Brent Smith <gnome nextreality net>
IRC: smitten