Re: Automatic Menu Substitution In Gnome Help Documentation

Danilo Šegan wrote:
I glanced over this, and noticed that you don't take translation into
account.  As it is, "automatic" substitution would work better, but we
should probably use much more of the available features in the same
way (eg. <guimenuitem>s could be read from translated MO/PO files for
the applications themselves).

Translations were not ignored on purpose, just forgot to mention them. I agree
that usage of available features should be used absolutely, I am just trying to
devise a mechanism where all can be achieved.

In this case of we decided to use build time option, where we could change
the xml doc for gedit for example to have the following entities :

    <!ENTITY Menu1 "Applications">
    <!ENTITY SubMenu1 "Accessories">
    <!ENTIRY MenuItem1 "Text Editor">

then later on in the document refer to these as in :

    <guimenu>&Menu1</guimenu>
                       <guimenuitem>&MenuItem1</guimenuitem>
           </menuchice>

These could be generated into the gedit.xml file at build time, taking
the menu choices from a predefined data file, or simply the .desktop file
that is also being built/installed with gedit, each distro will have to
patch the .desktop file either way if they want applications to appear
differently on menus so using it would possibly make sense ?

Would the above make sense ?

I am just saying this is not an easy problem to solve, and while we
all prefer simplicity, l10n stylesheets in g-d-u illustrate that we
can't get everything we want without becoming complex :)

I am hoping to keep the complexity to a minumum, no always the easiest :)

Thanks for the input.

Matt

--
        __.--'\     \.__./     /'--.__
    _.-'       '.__.'    '.__.'       '-._
  .'       Matt Keenan (mattman)          '.
 /       Sun Microsystems Ireland           \
|                                            |
|   E-Mail : Matt Keenan Sun Com             |
|            mattman iol ie                  |
|                                            |
|  Irish Fantasy League Of American Football |
|           http://www.iflaf.com             |
|        Happy Hookers Golf Society          |
|   http://www.iol.ie/~mattman/golf/hhgs.htm |
|   Phone  : +353 1 8199251, Sun Ext : 19251 |
                      ''