[Usability] Re: Yelp usability issues

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 15:03 +0000, Stuart Langridge wrote:
> > Currently we're trying to clean up yelp bugs in bugzilla a little.  In
> > there, there are 2 bugs that require input from a usability perspective.
> > 2. Should pressing / activate find (as well as pressing ctrl-F)?
>
> I've just wandered around a few people here and asked them to search
> for things in their web browser; some were Firefox people. The Firefox
> people are about evenly divided between using / to search and using
> Ctrl+F. (IE people were about evenly divided between Ctrl-F and using
> the menus; no Firefox users used the menus). That being the case, I'm
> inclined to suggest that people in general either (a) use Firefox and
> use / or (b) don't know that / does anything and therefore don't press
> it. Since it doesn't collide with anything else (as far as I know) I
> can't see a downside to implementing it; vi people and Firefox people
> may use it, and everyone else never presses it. All IMO, obviously.

In any Gecko view, including Yelp, if you just start typing,
you start incremental search on link texts.  It's pretty handy
for navigating pages with the keyboard.  So currently, hitting
slash will do the link-text-search thing.  If people have links
with slashes in them, they'd have a problem.  Maybe it's not a
big problem, but there is some collision.

--
Shaun