Re: Troubles with gtksourceview python bindings on windows

Yay that solved it!

Maybe the libxml link in this page
http://projects.gnome.org/gtksourceview/download.html
should point to to the file you provided and not to the libxml website.

Thank you!

Dani

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Armin Burgmeier <armin arbur net> wrote:
On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 14:58 -0400, Dani Valevski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running into some troubles with the python gtksourceview bindings
> on windows. I hope this is the right place to ask for help.
> I'll just quote the message I sent to stackoverflow
> (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2968273/making-pygtksourceview-work-in-windows)
>
> I'm trying to get gtksourceview python bindings work under windows
> (I'm developing a cross platform gtk application that shows code, so
> gtksourceview seemed like a natural choice).
>
> I have pygtk installed and working (I followed the instructions in
> http://www.pygtk.org/downloads.html)
>
> I tried the instructions in http://projects.gnome.org/gtksourceview/
> for gtksourceview.
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> 1. Downloaded and extracted the latest gtksourceview window binaries
> from:http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/gtksourceview/2.10/gtksourceview-2.10.0.zip
>
> 2. The website said gtksourceview needs libxml, so I downloaded and
> extracted the latest libxml window binaries from:
> http://xmlsoft.org/sources/win32/libxml2-2.7.6.win32.zip
>
> 3. Added the folders containing dll files to the PATH (in my computer
> they were c:\opt\gtksourceview\bin; C:\opt\libxml2-2.7.6.win32\bin)
>
> 4. Installed pygtksourceview with the windows
> installer:http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/pygtksourceview/2.10/pygtksourceview-2.10.0.win32-py2.6.exe
>
> 5. Renamed the file libxml2.dll to libxml2-2.dll (after running
> depends on the gtksourceview dll)

I am not sure whether this is the problem, but this is a bad idea in
general. Better use the DLL file gtksourceview is supposed to be used
with, i.e.
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/dependencies/libxml2_2.7.7-1_win32.zip

> Now, the gtksouceview widget seems to work, until I'm trying to set
> the code's language. When I do that python crashes.
>
> Here is how I crash it in the console (the simplest way i could come up with):

> I'm hoping I'm not the first person to use gtksourceview in python on
> windows. Any ideas what I should try?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Dani

Armin