understanding GtkSourceView internals

Hi all,

I'm looking trough the code to try to understand some of the scanning internals.

as far as I understand now, the scanning in update_syntax() is running
in idle time, in short timeslices such that the GUI is never blocked
for a long time.

But the idle_worker functions call gdk_threads_(enter|leave) so it
seems there is some multi-threading as well. What exactly is running
in a separate thread?

Another question: the syntax structure may be incomplete because the
scanning is not yet done. How does the highlighting code deal with an
incomplete syntax structure?

thanks,
   Olivier