Learning to love Jhbuild

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and trying to figure out my way around developing for
gnome. I hope I'm posting to correct mailing list.

I've started to use Jhbuild and I hit some _minor_ annoyances. I did
manage to build a few modules but I hit some issues running them,
e.g. epiphany and evolution.

Mainly when running those apps I was getting many warnings that they
can't access gconf, nor dbus and etc. Well obvious since I wasn't
running full blown compiled development desktop.

I don't think I have enough space (nor time) to build full
gnome. Hence my question. Is there a meta package defined in
modulesets which will give me a basic gdm login into compiled
development gnome? I can think that I will need nautilus & metacity,
but I'm not quite sure on the rest.

Also does anyone maintains modulesets to buid from git instead of
svn. I saw some posts on jhbuild being able to build from git. Am I
save enough to change gnome repo from svn to git, with
git-mirror.gnome.org url? Cause then It would be absolutely awesome for
my workflow.

BTW how does jhbuild manages with branches? or does it simply use the
current branch?

With best regards

Dmitrijs Ledkovs