Re: future of scaffold

El lun, 29-12-2003 a las 21:36, John (J5) Palmieri escribió:
> My biggest worry is that Scaffold is striving to be too pure without
> getting any realy work done.  When Scaffold (Anjuta 2) went through its
> first itteration of changes it lost a lot of functionality.  When the
> merger of gIDE and Anjuta were announced I could actualy use the IDE to
> get work done.  The project manager worked, it would build projects and
> I could click on errors and go to the line that was causing the errors.
> A little after that some refactoring went on and a couple of things got
> broken, syntax highlighting wouldn't work.  Even now with the complete
> move to GtkSourceview syntax highlighting is a bit sparse.  This is all
> alpha code which is cool but if we go in a direction I just want to be
> able to use what we have and not just rewrite everything.  I happen to
> like the codebase.  It is one of the cleaner ones I have seen in awhile
> but if something useful doesn't come out of it Scaffold will just be a
> neat experiment.  To be sure a lot of nice things have come out of its
> experimentation but I think three name changes later it needs to start
> standing on its own.

I personally think it's a good thing you guys are taking your time with
Scaffold.  There are already plenty of decent tools for getting work
done in any of the numerous languages... VIM, Emacs, Anjuta, (soon)
SharpDevelop, etc..  It seems like Scaffold is in a position to finally,
hopefully, become the definitive GNOME IDE.  The Visual Studio of GNOME,
so to speak.

My two cents.