Re: Scaffold: Code Automation Paper

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 14:40, stephen havok com wrote:
> > Right now I am struggling to
> > relearn lex and yacc.  Not realy my strong suit.  I have a basic C
> > parser compiling but it chokes on real code because the macros arn't
> > being parsed because most C grammer assumes they have been preprocessed
> > already.  This is the boring work for me.  I much rather be working on
> > the the database and higher level stuff like cross referencing and code
> > generation
>
> Hi John, I'd suggest you drop your parsing attempts.  Source navigator
> comes with many language parsers which populate dbm files. It's quite
> robust, even with macros, illegal code, etc.
>
> This will leave you with much more time to spend on the interesting tasks.
>
> Stephen.

I tried using SourceNavigator (actualy SourceBase which is based off of
SN) but it wouldn't compile under Debian because of conflicts with db1
and db3.  My big problems with SourceNavigator parsers are that they are
hand written and don't use Lex and Yacc which means that they can't be
extended with regular grammer.  I did only take a glance at them so if
you can convince me of the robustness of these parsers (how fine grain
do they get, do they report both column and line, are they easy to
extend, ect.) I may change my mind.  Thanks for the heads up.

--
J5