Re: GtkSourceView questions

Gustavo Giráldez wrote:

1. What actually is the 'marker type' of a GtkSourceMarker.

It's the property (pseudo-property actually :-) that connects the marker
with it's visual representation in the GtkSourceView widget.  In the
view, you set a pixmap for each marker type with
gtk_source_view_set_marker_pixbuf().
Is the marker_type just a user-defined text string used to indentify the marker.

2. GtkSourceTag and GtkSourceTagClass are private. This makes them difficult to wrap properly. Could they be made public? While not that important now it would be cleaner for future expansion.

GtkSourceTag and GtkSourceTagClass could be made public I think, though
I'm not sure we want that. What problems do you have wrapping it? (beware, I don't know much C++ :-)

It just means I can't wrap GtkSourceTagClass. This is not really a problem since no one will need to derive classes from Gtk::SourceTag. Pango hides the classes as well so I couldn't wrap those classes either.

As for future expansion, I don't think you could extend GtkSourceTag
functionality without access to the internal highlighting engine (which
is scheduled to be replaced, see the TODO file).  For example,
GtkSourceBuffer will remove all GtkSourceTags when you disable
highlighting, which is the reason GtkSourceTag exists as a class (since
otherwise all tags, even user tags, would be removed).  Do you have any
specific idea?
No. Just  trying to get my head around the various classes.

Thanks for the help,

Jeff Franks