Re: -ansi + -pedantic and maybe gnome

On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 18:38, Leif Dyvik wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am testing C abit now for fun. I have used C++ so there is no real
> problem.
>
> BUT I was wondering if i should use the -ansi -pedantic compiler flags
> when i *relearn* to get the right style. Or is most of the world using
> -std=C9x ?
>
> I am most thinking about diffrent types of *NIX's. But the Linux OS
> foremost. And how *portable* the C9x mode is.
> I am using Gcc3.2.2 and that don't support the C9x standard fully as
> said in the man file. But anyway?
>
> Wich should i use?

ANSI is always best.  You may find things that work in GCC that won't
work in other compilers also.  Specific thing I would take a look at
moving from the C++ world is don't use // for comments, always start
preparser macros on the first column (i.e. #define, #include, #ifdef,
etc.) and always leave an extra line at the end of files.

That being said C++ works fine for Gnome (Galeon is programmed in C++
from what I hear).  Python also has some strong bindings for Gnome.

--
J5