Re: REQUEST: Name change for Anjuta 2

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 14:56, Jeroen Zwartepoorte wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> What do you guys think of the following name: "scaffold". According to
> gdict it's: "A temporary structure of timber, boards, etc., for various
> purposes, as for supporting workmen and materials in building".
>
> I think it's a fitting name for an IDE. What do you think?

"Scaffold", to my UK ears, has unfortunate connotations with the
hangman's noose etc; for executing criminals and subversives in our
colonial past (rather than executing programs).

My dictionary (pocket edition of the Oxford English Dictionary) has that
as the primary meaning, with a synonym for "scaffolding" being a
secondary meaning.  "Scaffolding" is listed as having the meaning you
cite from gdict.

But ignoring that quibble, IMHO, anything is better than having
something called "Anjuta 2" that isn't version two of "Anjuta".  I
mostly got too confused and gave up trying to follow all this stuff
after the gIDE days :-(

I'm quite fond of "GNOME Studio" - shorter, snappier, and maybe less
pretentious than "GNOME Developer Studio".   Though whether the project
should have "GNOME" in its name is an interesting question.

Dave Malcolm
www.conglomerate.org