Devhelp: No toolbar on contents pane?

I'm having trouble with devhelp-0.7 (compiled from source under Gentoo 1.4):

The window showing the books and contents is displayed, but there is no
forward-back toolbar on the contents pane (as shown on the screenshots).

I suspect that my Gnome libraries aren't right, but this is only a guess.
Could anyone suggest troubleshooting steps? For example, is there a way to
activate verbose messages or debugging? Thanks.

Howard