Re: Anjuta2 editor interface limitations

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 06:44, Biswapesh Chattopadhyay wrote:
> This is purely a personal perspective, but sometimes I get really
> bothered about our aims. No known popular IDE gives choice about
> multiple embeddable editor interfaces (except possibly CVS KDevelop).

Visual Studio does.

But anyway, that's not our only reason for using bonobo.  Anjuta2's
major design goal has always been maintainability.  Yeah, you can
implement a thousand features a second if you throw together what works
as quickly as possible, but then you begin falling under your own
weight.

A bonobo interface makes you think about your design.  It makes you
consider where things are placed.  Anjuta2 tries to be very
compartmentalized for maintainability, and bonobo helps you think in
that way.

> Yes, some of them have customizable key bindings, and some allow the use
> of external editors (which is quite different from having multiple
> 'embeddable' editors). IMO, it is more important to support one editor
> *really well* (customizable keybindings is not really that hard to
> implement) rather than having so-so integration with lots of editors.

You can do both.  You can have *really good* support for one editor and
so-so integration with lots of editors.  That has been our plan.
Remember that *thinking* about lots of editors makes your code for
implementing *one* editor better.

-dave