Re: [Gnome-devtools] What we're doing.

This is cut and pasted from the archive, somehow this didn't get to me.

Andrew Sutton wrote:
> just curious? what does gpf stand for and what does it (or is it going
> to) actually do? it is the intended central component right? the
> organizing factor (or something like that?)

gnu program analysis framework, as for what it does (rather should do)
take a look at the following link:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~harmonia/overview.html

I don't think it's the central component. I think the central component
should be gnome-build, as I think everything should be centered around
projects. gpf would be the central component for source related
operations.

> if it's possible, you could use gpf (if it does what i think its
> supposed to) to collect and negotiate between different parts of the
> design process. it's easy to think about design and implementation here
> with the uml->code type stuff. gpf can keep a list of classes or modules
> that can be either affected through the design tool or the source
> editor. then, you can just notify the other tool that something has
> changed - ah... good use for the corba event service :)

I don't know the requirements of the design tools, but gpf will
incrementally maintain the parse tree for the source files, and in this
process it will capture change information and notify the listeners. As
far as keeping track of classes and stuff, that's not really what gpf
does. Although the structure of classes is represented and updated in
the parse trees, you would still need to (maybe in conjuntion with
gnome-build) build a list of classes within the project. Doing this is
outside the scope of gpf and gnome-build.

> > That would be very good, as with the other components it should probably
> > have a corba interface to fit in with the rest of the framework.
> >

> you mean people would not want to write components? ;)

Just making sure ;)

Mark