Re: [Gnome-devtools] Just before GtkEditor version 0.1.8...

Thomas Mailund wrote:

>  L> How slow is havocs editor?  I mean gtktext/gtkeditor is very fast!
>  L> compared to gtkextext, but I think, how's worth a text widget that
>  L> cosumes 1/2 of the CPU using non Pixmap themes.
>
>  L> I asked havoc on GUADEC about the speed isue, and it was just a
>  L> port, and he hadnt tested speed.
>
>  L> any sugestions?
>
> It's fast enough on my box ;)
>
> I haven't really though much about speed, but since it's interactive
> and not annoying I'd say it's acceptable.  It appears to be a bit
> faster than gtktext/gtkeditor, but that could be me.

Overall tktext is a bit slower than gtktext, in selections, response,
ect. However property changes are a lot faster in tktext, because you
don't have to delete/reinsert text, also tktext doesn't have the large
ammount of flicker as gtktext does. So I think there is some tradeoffs
in using tktext, but the benifits (horizontal scrolling, tag events,
fast property changes, low flicker) are worth the effort.