Discussion about adding icon thumbnails to the file picker

Hello!

I wanted to discuss the possibility of adding icon thumbnails to the GNOME file picker. Currently the GNOME file picker is a list view without icons, when you click an image you get a thumbnail of it.

Many users wishing to manage their images, photographs etc. want to have the option of a grid of image thumbnails. This is useful for example when uploading pictures to the web or when trying to open an image in GNU GIMP to edit it.

There is a long standing issue about this feature request https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/233

There is an interesting patch mentioned https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view/ which I have built and tested. I do not think that this patch is ready to merge but it is a good start and the code may be useful to somebody working on implementing this feature.

Anyway I am interested in what any GNOME developers think about this particular feature request.

* Would a high quality pull request that implements this feature be accepted?

* If not why not?

* Is there a reason that any implementation of this feature would be rejected?

* Is there any internal work on this feature that is not known outside of GNOME?

* Would there be any communication and guidance from the GNOME project to outside developers aiming to contribute an implementation of this?

Thank you.