Re: Help with my post-SOC project

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 15:13 -0700, Pascal Schoenhardt wrote:
[...]
> One of the primary features of the new display config capplet was to
> provide a) support for profiles, and b) to have GNOME react to display
> changes automatically (ie: apply predefined profiles for known display
> devices). For these two things to be possible, it needs to be possible
> to identify display devices.
>
> The main problem, quite simply, is this: when EDID information is not
> available for whatever reason, how can I identify a screen? If a
> screen can't be identified, what is to be done? Disable profiles and
> autoresponse? Save configurations to xorg.conf like in the past?

Either of the last 2 is probably OK for a firt cut; then get some
user feedback.  On a laptop, people might plug in an external projector
and hope that it will work immediately, whereas every Linux user knows
you actually have to re-install X, edit undocumented options in
xorg.conf, reboot with the projector connected, and sacrifice a goat :-)
In other words the current situation is bad enough that any improvement
might get people quite interested.

> The other problem (though this will disappear in time), how do I
> handle non-xrandr1.2 video drivers? The XRandR API has a call to test
> whether the XRandR 1.2 is present in X, but this will be present even
> if the drivers don't support it. The idea was to just fall back on the
> old tool, but I need a way to determine whether the drivers supports
> XRandR.
if the driver doesn't support it, go wrong silently in the first
version; the user will be no worse off than if they did not use
your program.

Hope this helps...

Liam