Help with writing dynamic menus in gnome panel applets

Hi all,

I'm trying in vain to finish the last bit of my applet but can't seem to figure it out. Rather than spending more time reading i thought i may short circuit the learning process and ask for help.

I fundamentally need to build a dynamic menu on the panel. This i've done and it comes up fine and i can click on items and correct actions happen. I've also read the 'writing panel applets' tutorial, but what i'm requiring is not covered.

So what i currently have is a menu like below that appears in the panel when i right click on my applet icon.

+-------------------+
|      AAAAA        |
+-------------------+
|      BBBBB        |
|      CCCCC        |
+-------------------+
| Remove from Panel |
|       Move        |
+-------------------+
|   Lock to Panel   |

The items AAAAA, BBBBB and CCCCC are created by me and the rest are the default panel items.

Now i need to programatically add new menu items at a specific location in the menu, like just after AAAAA and before BBBBB. If i use

  bonobo_ui_component_set_translate(uic, "/popups/popup", xml, ev);

it always *appends* to my previously crated items and appears after the CCCCC menu item.

So how do i add an item at a specific index in the menu ? Do i need to rebuild the complete menu xml every time by doing a thaw() and then bonobo_ui_component_rm() followed by a bonobo_ui_component_set_translate() ?

Am i missing something ?
Thanks
Dave