Re: .Net/Mono and C# in GNOME? Do we really need it?

On 12/29/06, Alex Jones <alex weej com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 10:06 +1000, Peter Dolding wrote:
> > Alex Jones wrote:

> > > SysvInit isn't run at all. It is already replaced by Upstart.
> > >
> > The initilization min SysvInit last time I looked is still there.  That
> > just starts what drivers and setup is required from the initrd is still
> > there before starting /sbin/init.
>
> Are you sure you're not confusing SysVInit for the Linux kernel starting
> up?

No. I have edited inside the initrd mainly because of moving machines between hardware and the initrd being wrong for the new hardware and setup.. Lot of distros start a small form of init from started with linuxrc inside initrd. I am not talking about replacing the kernels. I am talking about fixing up the initrd startup system from being copied from SysvInit and requiring ash or nash or some form of sh to operate inside the initrd. To something hopefully smaller and faster.

5 years ago to be more correct 6 years ago the idea of replacing the SysVint started as part of Linux Standard Base. Many have came and gone most have missed that its so far embed its not funny.

Problems some distro's when puting stuff into initrd just copy the normally SysvInit files in and use a min SysvInit to start them. Nothing in the Linux kernel says that it requires a min SysVinit in the initrd even the initrd's examples from kernel.org don't have it. For Upstart to be complete it has to replace this part as well. Then SysvInit scripts will no longer be needed for anything. Only upstart system. It does make editing initrd simple it being the same outside. Ok I need to setup a raid on startup expand the initrd do the same settings as you would with SysVinit pack the initrd and you are done. Normally done when restoring from backup on different hardware and don't want to reinstall.. If upstart is truly replacing SysVinit it should replace the min form in initrd's as well. Just so it stays the same.

So Upstart has not replaced all the mess left over from the SysvInit time yet.

Inside the Initrd is the deepest point in Linux the SysvInit style construction has got.

Basicly it started off at SysvInit and went deeper. Then basics of SysvInit endup in stuff like hal and the like. Coders recycle ideas. And if starting idea is bad if its not fixed early it ends up spread everywhere.

Peter Dolding