Re: gnome mdi substitution.

В Пнд, 21/02/2005 в 13:14 +0300, Peter пишет:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:56:16 +0100, uws wrote:
> > På Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 11:18:07AM +0300, Peter skrev:
> >> I need to create program that simulates some physic process. So there
> >> is a data I need to draw. Different views of the same data.
> >>
> >> gnomeMDI is deprecated. I can suppose that there is some more
> >> comfortable substitution for gnomeMDI.
> >
> > The GNOME community has chosen to abandon the MDI concept and I do agree
> > with that. "One window for every document" is easier to use and doesn't
> > force the user to think about the "type" of a file (why do two totally
> > unrelated text documents share one window, while a related image has its
> > own window?)
> >
> > However, you said you have multiple views of the same data (so,
> > basically that is one document), so having them in the same window seems
> > appropriate here. Personally, I'd suggest a tabbed view panel or a...
> >
> >   View ->      View A
> >            [x] View B
> >                View C
> >
> > ...menu item to switch views.
>
> Thank you very much for your answer.
>
> If I understand you solutions correctly the sollution with View A, View
> B,... allows to see only one view at the same time. But my task is to see
> different view at the same time in dynamics. Is it possible with tabed
> view to see and update two or more tabs at the same time?
>
> I'll try to explain my task with a bit more details. There is a physical
> process (quantum mechanics: wave function propagation in time). At every
> moment of time it is possible to represent wave function as a two
> dimensional array (This is my data). I can calculate different information
> from this data: densities of probability of different values, equal level
> lines, different average values... Something about ten or more different
> views. So It's impossible to look at them all at the same time. Well
> actually may be possible, but it's hard to understand :) So I would like
> to have possibility to chose views I'd like to see on my screen at the
> same time. (Well. this is dynamical process. So I would like to update
> only views chosed to look at.)
>
> For every view I would like to create a widget based on gtkdrawing area.
> But the question is how to gather them together. I thought MDI concept is
> a good choce for this. Could tabed view pannel be a good substitution?
>
> Thank you for your attention,
> Peter.

Probably you should look at GDL library used in anjuta and monodevelop.
It's provide nice way to manage windows. User can combine them in tabs
or paned views or separate windows. It's possible to save and restore
window layout.

You can find this library in monodevelop sources or checkout it from
libegg
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/libegg/libegg/dock/
but I think in monodevelop version is more usable.