Re: Extension to Volume Control & General Questions

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 17:35 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 16:25 -0400, Jordan Saunders wrote:
> > Since my foray into Linux, there have been a few things that have
> > annoyed me and a few more that have made me curious. Firstly, the volume
> > control panel applet can only adjust one channel at a time, and my
> > master channel only controls the front speakers. So when it's at zero,
> > there is still sound from my back speakers. I would like to make it a
> > project of mine to fix this to get a better grounding in Linux
> > programming, but I'm not sure if it'll be accepted into the CVS. What I
> > would like to do is change it so that you can select more than one
> > channel to change at a time, and to unify their volume. I don't want to
> > step on anyone's feet by coding this, but I would like to help out with
> > Gnome, and this is the first thing that I saw that I didn't like and I
> > could fix.
>
> I would say just fixing the volume control applet so the one slider
> controls both front and back speakers is the way to go.  Having more
> than one slider seems wrong in the applet since the volume control
> capplet should have a way of individually adjusting the channels.

Yeah. That's what I meant by "What I would like to do is change it so
that you can select more than one channel to change at a time, and to
unify their volume." You'd select the channel[s] you want to change, and
actually changed them using one volume adjuster.

> > Another thing I've wondered about is testing things like the core
> > desktop environment or library. It just wouldn't be very practical to
> > reinstall Gnome every time one makes a tiny modification, so what would
> > be the "routine" in that case?
>
> You just make install the library you are working on, not the entire
> desktop.  Also check out jhbuild.  Using jhbuild will allow you to do
> development without touching your main desktop.

I'll look into jhbuild, thanks.

- Jordan