Re: gnome-print question

On 03/15/2004 11:51:08 PM, James Henstridge wrote:
On 16/03/2004 1:15 PM, Alex Roitman wrote:
My problem is this: when I set up gnome-print config from default, I
can only choose from the handful of sizes (Letter, Legal, Executive,
A4, Monarch Envelope). No A0-A3, A5, B0-B6, etc. It seems that this
is because my CUPS printing system only supports that handful of
sizes.

Is there a way to initialize config to the Postscript backend so
that more paper sizes are available to set in config?

Install the correct PPD file for your printer?  Unless I am mistaken,
CUPS generates the media-supported list from values in the PPD file.
If the print driver says that a queue only supports a certain
collection of sizes, why would you generate documents of a different
size?

What if I don't have any printing system installed? I still could use
the generic postscript backend to produce PS for whatever size.
However, the gnome-print config on the machine without CUPS
is stuck with A4 and would not let me set the page size to anything
else.

If I could switch the config to the PS backend somehow, I could choose
between all the PS sizes. Is that possible? Maybe it should be a
fallback when CUPS is not installed?

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://ebner.neuroscience.umn.edu/people/alex.html
Dept. of Neuroscience, Lions Research Building