Re: I've created the GEdit replacemnt

On 05-Jul-2004 James Willcox wrote:
> Why in the world would you want to replace gedit?  What's wrong with it?
> I've heard people say they would like a more lightweight notepad-like
> editor, which is fine.  However, you clearly have the intention of
> adding features like syntax highlighting (which gedit has), making it
> very un-notepad-like.

Hm, the last time I checked GEdit, it was a GTK 1,2 program... I've written
a GTK 2.x program... Now I see that GEdit was switched to GTK 2.x. But is
it really ported well or just hacked? I'm not sure. (I've not yet
downloaded Gedit.)

Anyway (at least so was in the past), GEdit running produced many GTK/GLib
warnings showing that it is not well written, clean program. My gtk2edit
runs without any GLib warnings.

Also GEdit (at least in its GTK 1.2 time) was somehow heavy-weight (I
haven't yet checked the last GEdit version) and I wrote a more lighweight
editor. gtk2edit will remain lightweight even if big features like syntax
highlight will be added. These will be added such a way to be able turning
them off, be very lightweight. You yourself have claimed that people want a
lightweight editor. BTW, on Windows gtk2edit is almost as fast as Notepad!

Additionally gtk2edit contains several new technologies for future GTK. It
may be a base for features probably of GTK 2.6, 2.8 or 3.0. It is probably
more important than the editor itself.

So anyway gtk2edit is the future technology with which the old technology
bearing artifacts should be replaced.

The conclusion: the right good thing for anybody, both Gnome and Extreme
Code, is for now to have both editors in Gnome in parallel; in the future I
deem Gedit should be replaced with gtk2edit.

So I repeat my request: please include gtk2edit into Gnome extra packages.

--
Victor Porton (porton ex-code com)
 http://ex-code.com - software company, custom software for low price