Re: Workspace Specific Desktops

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 09:41 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 11:44 -0800, paul pksings com wrote:
> > I'm a bit of a long-time Linux user and have come really like Gnome
> > because it is clean, fast and just plain looks and works well. There is
> > one feature in it that I personally really would like to see however,
> > workspace specific backgrounds instead of the one background for all
> > workspaces.
> >
> > In researching how to do it I find that it apparently can not be done.
> > Nautilus, which handles the backgrounds, does not have that capability.
> >
> > There probably is some technical reason, bloat, difficulty or something as
> > to why it can't.  And I'd really like to know what it is.
>
> Not really. The reason is that its a fair chunk of work to figure out
> how to make it work and implement it in the various modules needed.
> Nobody has yet taken the time to do it.

Actually, the hard part is probably figuring out how to integrate it
into gnome-background-properties in an acceptable and non-confusing way.

Implementation, though harder now with the dual handling of the
background in gnome-settings-daemon and nautilus, is essentially easy.
(Making it efficient and not *entirely* memory greedy a little harder.)

But gnome-background-properties is probably the most fought over piece
of UI real estate in GNOME, and background-per-desktop has been rejected
in the past.

Regards,
						Owen