registration of URL handlers in gnome2

Hi everyone,

I have a gtk+-app which I want to to register with Gnome 2 as the application
to handle 'foo://' URLs.

I found out how to do this with Gnome 1 [*] and kde, but I don't have the
slightest idea what the right way to do this in Gnome 2 is.

Do I have to call gconftool-2 to do this?
If so, which keys do I need to set?
If not, what else do I need to do?

The setting should be user-specific, not system wide.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
-Tim

PS: Please CC: me on any replies, as I am not subscribed to this list.

[*] ie. add a line 'foo-show=/usr/bin/myapp "%s"'  to ~/.gnome/Gnome