Strange behavior of usb modem under GNOME

Hello everyone,

This is a repetiton of what I posted to comp.os.linux.(setup,hardware)
today. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

I have a Debian Woody running on an IBM Thinkpad R31. The software
setup is basicly the "stable" distribution with 2.4.18bf2.4 kernel +
the XFree86 4.2.1 from the "testing".

The XFree86 4.2.1 comes with KDE 2.2.2 and GNOME (gnomecc has version
1.4.0.5). The modem of the Thinkpad is some AMR (Lucent, I guess)
based, non-supported winmodem, so I ripped off a USB modem from an HP
Brio (st7554 based, HP UM9800-W). Actually this is also a winmodem,
but Smartlink provides some (partially open) drivers on their site,
and I got the modem to work w/o any problems.

The modem works perfectly in console mode (no X), and with KDE.
However, whenever I try to run it within the GNOME environment, I get
"fifo underrun" errors that repeat some thousand times and cannot even
get connected.The modem dials the number fine, but afterwards things
get messed up.

Many thanks in advance,
-arifi